Sports Premium Funding
The Olympics in London in 2012 gave Britain a once in a lifetime opportunity to inspire a nation to enjoy sport and improve health and well-being.
The government wants to inspire the next generation of athletes and sports people by providing extra funding for Physical Education (P.E) in every primary school.
The sports funding aims to improve the quality of provision in every state primary school in England. Each school receives a lump sum with a top up per pupil. The money is ring fenced meaning we can only spend it on improving sport provision for our children.
As a school we have to decide how best to spend the fund ensuring it meets our school vision of:
Providing the BEST start for every child so that every child can be the BEST that they can be.
We are using the P.E grant to:
- Improve the quality of our P.E teaching by providing specialist sports coaches to work alongside our team of teachers and teaching assistants. As a result our staff team are more confident at teaching PE and so the quality of learning has improved.
- Increase the number of sports related extra curriculum clubs we provide to inspire children to engage in sporting activities out of school. As a result more children and families are accessing community sports facilities e.g swimming lessons at Stratford Park Leisure Centre and Football at Stonehouse Football Club. We celebrate their achievements in our weekly time to shine assembly.
- Develop children’s understanding of how to live healthy lifestyles through our curriculum. As a result even our youngest children are able to talk about the importance of eating healthy food, having enough sleep and taking exercise.
- Subsidize the cost of swimming for our Y2 children by funding the cost of specialist swimming coaches & life guards. As a result 100% of our Year 2 children gain in confidence and learn to swim.
- Provide training and release time for our P.E leader who then shares her knowledge & expertise with all other staff. As a result our monitoring shows that the quality of PE teaching is never less than good.
- Become involved in sporting activities with children from other local schools. Our school attended 100% of all events organised for our age group.